Monday, May 10, 2010

Review: The Revolutionary Paul Revere


Title: The Revolutionary Paul Revere
Author: Joel J. Miller
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 224

"Listen my children and you shall hear of the midnight ride of Paul Revere..."

And so begin the lines of the famous poem of Paul Revere's midnight ride, and that is about all I have remembered about Paul Revere since junior high.

The Revolutionary Paul Revere was a great recap and biography of; who Paul Revere was, how he influenced the beginnings of our nation, and how many different talents he had.

I am not usually a biography reader, but this book was interesting enough that I read it in just a few sittings. Many biographies will go on for 3+ chapters discussing the main characters family, which I can find boring at times. This book touched on his family and then got off to a fast start with Paul's life in the New World.

The book details Paul's involvement with the Masons and other political groups in Boston. There was only a small amount of information on Paul's midnight ride, but just enough to satisfy my interest. The Revolutionary War takes center stage in several chapters and I found the war commentary detailed and exciting.

Paul's gift as an artist/engraver/craftsman are intertwined quite nicely into this story. The number of prints, pictures, and metal working he created is fascinating.

I would recommend this book to anyone that would like a refresher on the history of Paul Revere. This book was not an exhaustive biography, but just a perfect size and amount of information for me.

4/5 Stars

I received a review copy from Thomas Nelson as part of their blog partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment