Tuesday, July 13, 2010

3 Mini Reviews



Title: Raven's Ladder
Author: Jeffrey Overstreet

The third novel in the series (the fourth is nearing completion: http://tinyurl.com/2fecs4n). If you have not read this series I highly recommend it!
My only misgivings is that so much time passed between my readings of the other two books. I was a little lost in some parts, but the character index in the back of the book helped greatly.

There is whole new setting in this book and the characters are continuing to be built and created in a marvelous fashion.
5/5 Stars



Title: Eternity Falls
Author: Kirk Outerbridge

Eternity Falls falls under the cyber-punk or cyber thriller genre and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The futuristic elements intertwined in the novel were not over the top and the setting was defined (though I was hoping for a little more information about the city itself).

There were plenty of twists and turns turns in this plot with one of the major ones occuring in the middle. The element of faith was also woven succinctly through the plot. There are several great discussions between characters about free will and God's sovereignty all in context to living forever on earth or letting natural causes eventually end life.

One of my first cyber thriller reads and another high recommendation.

5/5 Stars




Title: Burn
Author: Ted Dekker and Erin Healy

Three childhood friends are caught up in the dealings of a madman and the results of one frightful night will affect them forever.

Burn is a fast paced novel that I finished in about four sittings. Dekker and Healy are a great team and I enjoyed this novel even more so than their first (Kiss).

It is difficult to describe this book without giving away spoilers. All I can say is that this book does well showing the Biblical truth of our sin nature and "new man" battling against each other.

I was expecting more of a "bang" for an ending, but overall I really enjoyed the characters and the way it all came together.


4.5 / 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment